These cranes typically operate within a maze of walls to minimize any radioactive migration. Because of this facility design, the cranes require accurate positioning and often are remotely operated with TV cameras and monitors for the operator.
Rad-waste crane designs have run the gamut from basic standard cranes to highly complex arrangements. Some features which have been included are:
- Container grab, with or without rotator
- Motorized rotating hook
- Load-sensing device with digital readout
- Creep speeds on one or more motions
- Remote operation in a lead-shielded room
- Area or zone restrictive limit switches
- Redundant mechanical drives
- TV cameras
- Radiation resistant wiring
- Earthquake restraints
- Motion and position indicating lights or readout
For specific answers to application questions, please contact the Whiting Nuclear Power Solutions Team or call 800-861-5744.